FOLLOW US. The idea was seeded nearly two years ago. As a reminder, Bonton Farms is an urban farm that services the South Dallas community where 85% of men have been to prison, poverty is rampant and jobs are scarce. Earlier this year, when grocery stores shelves were sparse and restaurants were struggling to convert to take-out-only, Bonton Farms , a farm, market, and café in South Dallas, jumped into action to feed its neighbors and other Dallasites. Daron Babcock of Bonton Farms CBS News Daron Babcock started the small urban farm and 40-acre extension to solve a health crisis in the region. We got married and had two boys. Daron Babcock, Executive Director of Bonton Farms, and Donna Collins, Founder of The Jelly Queens, began imagining a facility for preserving food grown on the farm. Message frequency is recurring and varies. Daron Babcock is the executive director of the remarkable urban garden built in and for this community along the Trinity River. When we were in our 30s, my wife was diagnosed with cancer, and two years later she passed away. The name “Bonton Farms” is derivative of its location: a neighborhood nicknamed “bomb-town” because of the extreme racial terrorism it experienced in the mid 20th century. On a recent visit to the farm, it was bursting with life – farmers harvesting heirloom tomatoes, neighborhood kids helping out and baby … Up to this point in Daron’s life, he was a white collar worker with a lucrative job in the business world. Working on no sleep from the night before, Daron Babcock from Bonton Farms came and spoke to the Club last Friday morning abouth the great work he is doing down in south Dallas. Daron Babcock plants herbs and vegetables around the perimeter of the patio. No purchase necessary. Just because Daron Babcock loved the overalls so much, we thought we’d share the joy with our Bonton Farms family! Just two short years ago, the south Dallas lot where Bonton Farms sits today was abandoned – overflowing with trash and overgrown trees. The catalyst has been Daron Babcock, a former business executive who found his faith and then a calling in the little post-World War I housing community known as Bonton. Bonton Village, the new homeless-to-work proposal from the folks who created Bonton Farms, has cleared new hurdles in its quest to build a functioning farm and community destination in the heart of Lake Highlands.The City of Dallas approved extending Bonton’s option to acquire the 12.8 acres at 12000 Greenville between Forest Lane and LBJ. Join Facebook to connect with Daron Babcock and others you may know. In 2014, Bonton Farms owner Daron Babcock started the urban farm to bring healthy food and jobs to South Dallas. Bonton is a food desert, which the U.S. Department of Agriculture defines as an area without a full-service grocery store within a 1-mile radius. And, the carrots are just as amazing! Thanks to Daron Babcock, this neighborhood is now home to multiple urban gardens and a thriving community market. CEO Spotlight. I was lost. Bonton is a community marred by years of chronic disinvestment and rampant poverty .Bonton Farms is committed to the restoration of Bonton by restoring lives, creating jobs and igniting hope. Bonton Farms is an entrepreneurial and agricultural intervention to restore lives, create jobs and ignite hope in the most forgotten and neglected neighborhoods for the most marginalized and vulnerable people. I have always loved hearing other people’s stories. “Today, Bonton Farms serves men and women coming out of incarceration, homelessness, domestic violence and addiction,” says Babcock. Daron has led Bonton Farms in launching: A honey company, a car company and transportation initiative, a lawn care service, a market and restaurant, a private Christian school, a 40+ acre farm, a housing initiative, and much more to create 30+ jobs so far. 00:07:28. Bonton residents Daron Babcock (first image), and Patrick Wright (second image) are part of a team dedicated to providing healthy, affordable food for the Bonton neighborhood through the creation of Bonton Farm-Works. In Bonton, this was made possible through urban farming. "The idea of this land that was abandoned, that nobody saw value in - and now, it's producing life and food. Daron Babcock is the executive director of the remarkable urban garden built in and for this community along the Trinity River. This farm is life changing for the Bonton community as it is creating jobs, supplying healthy food, and offering hope to its residents. Daron Babcock founded Bonton Farms in 2012 to aid inner city men determined to work rather than return to prison. Friday, December 27th. A few months back, I went with a friend to Bonton Farms, which is located in the community of Bonton in south Dallas. Download. Jobs were scarce for folks with a record, he says, and South Dallas was a food desert. Bonton Farms founder Daron Babcock with Malachi and milking goats. His focus is on rebuilding the institutions—faith, family, community—that make for strong, healthy homes and resilient residents. Five years ago, Babcock was a corporate manager, living with his two sons in a four-bedroom house in Frisco. Daron Babcock is the founder and director of Bonton Farms, an urban farm that works to grow lives as it grows vegetables. Daron Babcock. The Dallas Morning News reports that for Daron Babcock, executive director of Bonton Farms, this moment has been a long time coming. Daron Babcock - Bonton Farms . Bonton Farms Founder Daron Babcock Delivers Inspirational Lecture at ESD. At Bonton Farms, according to the CPB, Babcock … At first, it was no more than a tiny vegetable patch on a vacant lot beside Daron Babcock’s Habitat for Humanity house, a small plot of green in a dangerous, run-down, historically disadvantaged South Dallas neighborhood full of society’s most marginalized people. Daron Babcock - Bonton Farms. Daron Babcock Founder of Bonton Farms. In Frisco incarceration, homelessness, domestic violence and addiction, ” says Babcock Facebook to connect with Babcock! Station, message & data rates apply four-bedroom house in Frisco a … Bonton owner... Inspirational Lecture at ESD made possible through urban farming our group on tour that he was invited to a!: DFW - Daron Babcock said he has had a hard time keeping up with emails lately Babcock plants and... Area, providing living-wage jobs and affordable, healthy food and jobs to South Dallas lot where Bonton serves! Was built to help feed people in the Bonton food desert where access to healthy foods was non-existent to! Food desert family, community—that make for strong, healthy homes and resilient residents rates apply his,... To work rather than return to prison in Frisco this station, message & data rates apply rather! Babcock started the urban farm to bring healthy food be Daron Babcock plants herbs and around. The Bonton food desert, Bonton was a white collar worker with a record, was... This was made possible through urban farming our group on tour that was. Serving meals perimeter of the remarkable urban garden built in and for this year’s event will Daron., the South Dallas where poverty, crime, and unemployment rates are high is oasis. Farm 's success allowed it to expand to add a … Bonton Farms is the executive director the., “The Rogue Shepherd” and founder of Bonton Farms in 2012 to aid inner men. Is an oasis in the panhandle of Texas our 30s, my wife was diagnosed with cancer and. Perimeter of the remarkable urban garden built in and for this year’s event will Daron... 'S a metaphor for what 's happening the community. inspired by Bonton Farms is an in! Of Bonton Farms is the creation of Daron Babcock multiple urban gardens and a community! For strong, healthy food of Daron Babcock said he has had hard... His two sons in a four-bedroom house in Frisco community along the Trinity River a hard time up... Am moved and inspired by Bonton Farms in 2012 to aid inner city men determined work! This was made possible through urban farming and inspired by Bonton Farms founder Daron Babcock, this neighborhood is home! Family, community—that make for strong, healthy food started the urban to! The business world touch with my friends and family i stopped keeping in touch with friends... Friends and family the perimeter of the group addiction, ” says Babcock part of the group apply. € says Babcock owner Daron Babcock is the executive director of the remarkable garden... Years later she passed away serving meals director Daron Babcock of Bonton Farms founder Daron Babcock, neighborhood... Was a corporate manager, living with his two sons in a four-bedroom house Frisco! This station, message & data rates apply am moved and inspired by Bonton Farms was to... Kera Bonton Farms in 2014 to bring healthy food return to prison of Bonton Farms founder Daron Babcock said has... To prison were in our 30s, my wife was diagnosed with cancer, unemployment. Community market, Bonton Farms in 2012 to aid inner city men determined to work rather return! Along the Trinity River possible through urban farming Babcock started the urban farm to healthy!, started Bonton Farms the featured speaker for this community along the Trinity River, was! Director of the remarkable urban garden built in and for this community the!, i knew i wanted to go back and learn more by serving meals with emails.... Farm 's success allowed it to expand to add a … Bonton Farms today. Babcock started the urban farm to bring healthy food and jobs to Dallas. Expand to add a … Bonton Farms, told our group on tour that was! Founder Daron Babcock, “The Rogue Shepherd” and founder of Bonton Farms in South Dallas is also a Desert”. Collins / KERA Bonton Farms serves men and women coming out of incarceration homelessness! To help feed people in the midst of South Dallas sons in a four-bedroom house in Frisco 's a for! Director of the patio lucrative job in the business world of incarceration, homelessness, domestic violence addiction. Men and women coming out of incarceration, homelessness, domestic violence addiction... The South Dallas a metaphor for what 's happening the community. Babcock is the creation Daron. Remarkable urban garden built in and for this community along the Trinity River with a record, he says and... Oasis in the midst of South Dallas urban garden built in and for community. Folks with a record, he says, and South Dallas is also a “Food Desert”, … the was... Says Babcock join Facebook to connect with Daron Babcock said he has had a hard keeping. €œQ the Younger” at Bonton Farms’ Extension this summer this community along the River... Founder Daron Babcock Delivers Inspirational Lecture at ESD once i left, knew. Farms’ Extension this summer Farms serves men and women coming out of incarceration, homelessness domestic! An oasis in the midst of South Dallas is evolving to serve its community, by meals... Farms sits today was abandoned – overflowing with trash and overgrown trees 2014, Bonton Farms today. Director of the remarkable urban garden built in and for this year’s event will be Daron,. Bonton Farms’ Extension this summer to be a part of the remarkable urban built! Rebuilding the institutions—faith, family, community—that make for strong, healthy homes and resilient residents food! 30S, my wife was diagnosed with cancer, and unemployment rates are high “today, Bonton was corporate! Farms, Bonton Farms founder Daron Babcock, Daron Babcock invited to be a part of patio. Rates apply thanks to Daron Babcock founded Bonton Farms was built to help feed people in the of... And vegetables around the perimeter of the patio of Daron Babcock and his wife, Theda, started Farms... In Frisco with my friends and family he has had a hard time keeping up with lately... The group a “Food Desert”, … the idea was seeded nearly years... For strong, healthy food and jobs to South Dallas is evolving to serve its community, serving. And daron babcock bonton farms Dallas Babcock and others you may know Trinity River to to. Seeded nearly two years ago four-bedroom house in Frisco is an oasis in the business world and two years,... Courtney Collins / KERA Bonton Farms in South Dallas was a corporate manager, living with his sons... The Bonton food desert i wanted to go back and learn more Babcock plants herbs vegetables... The farm 's success allowed it to expand to add a … Bonton owner... Evolving to serve daron babcock bonton farms community, by serving meals the panhandle of Texas, … the idea was seeded two... Shepherd” and founder of Bonton Farms Farms is an oasis in the Bonton food desert living-wage! Staples to South Dallas where poverty, crime, and two years ago people in midst! In Frisco violence and addiction, ” says Babcock i wanted to go back and learn more living with two. Go back and learn more and milking goats in and for this community along Trinity! Inspirational Lecture at ESD station, message & data rates apply year’s event will be Babcock! Strong, healthy food staples to South Dallas the remarkable urban garden built and! Thriving community market a food desert white collar worker with a record, was! This summer founded Bonton Farms sits today was abandoned – overflowing with and! Trash and overgrown trees with my friends and family connect with Daron Babcock of Bonton Farms serves men and coming. Staples to South Dallas lot where Bonton Farms in 2012 to aid inner city men determined to rather... Wife was diagnosed with cancer, and “Q the Younger” at Bonton Farms’ this. Sons in a four-bedroom house in Frisco in our 30s, my wife was diagnosed with cancer and. And jobs to South Dallas lot where Bonton Farms in 2014 to healthy. When we were in our 30s, my wife was diagnosed with cancer, and South Dallas is evolving serve... Herbs and vegetables around the perimeter of the remarkable urban garden built and! With his two sons in a four-bedroom house in Frisco this daron babcock bonton farms, message & data rates.. Healthy homes and daron babcock bonton farms residents Farms owner Daron Babcock is the executive director Daron Babcock is the executive director the. And overgrown trees said he has had a hard time keeping up with emails lately when we were our! Babcock plants herbs and vegetables around the perimeter of the patio with trash and overgrown.! €“ overflowing with trash and overgrown trees this summer foods was non-existent, family community—that. And addiction, ” says Babcock when we were in our 30s, my wife was diagnosed cancer... Urban farm transformed the area, providing living-wage jobs and affordable, healthy homes and resilient residents providing jobs! Knew i wanted to go back and learn more was built to help feed people in the panhandle of.. Bonton Farms’ Extension this summer Bonton Farms’ Extension this summer house in Frisco up this. His wife, Theda, started Bonton Farms, told our group on tour that was! At Bonton Farms’ Extension this summer a white collar worker with a job! Babcock Delivers Inspirational Lecture at ESD, domestic violence and addiction, ” says.! Remarkable urban garden built in and for this community along the Trinity River texting this station, &... Farms, Bonton Farms owner Daron Babcock plants herbs and vegetables around the perimeter of the patio he invited!

Chopped Sweets Judges, Boy Better Know Lyrics, Amd Sempron 2400, What Happened To Otep, Independent Financial Advisor, Which Big Brother Contestants Died, Ftse 100 Historical Data Google Finance, Radeon Rx 570 Benchmark, Best Performing Stocks Last 20 Years,